L1® Users Forum    Bose L1® Musicians  Hop To Forum Categories  Instrument Forums  Hop To Forums  Vocals    T.C. Helicon VoiceLive versus Digitech Vocalist Live 4
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

T.C. Helicon VoiceLive versus Digitech Vocalist Live 4
 Login/Join

Picture of dcon1111
posted
I am on the verge of purchasing a vocal harmony processor. I have done a lot of research both online and with various music stores. I'm kinda on the fence as to whether the T.C. Helicon VoiceLive when used with their HarmonyControl/Guitar pedal or the Digitech Vocalist Live 4 would be the best choice. I read the comments and opinions that Rayman , Ted the Musician and others had posted but at that time I don't believe any one had been using the VoiceLive with the HarmonyControl/Guitar pedal which in theory would work very much like th e Digitech Vocalist Live 4. And if quality of the harmony voices compare favorably on these 2 units. And although the Helicon setup would be around $300 more, if the tracking and voice qualities were superior it would be worth it to me. I was wondering if anyone has played with and done enough tweaking with the Digitech Vovalist Live 4 to know whether the humanizing type functions are on par with the Helicon VoiceLive. It seems I've heard more than one person comment on the sense of realness that the Helicon produces. If anyone can help me with my quest it would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Fri October 03 2008Reply With QuoteAsk Bose for help
Picture of dandyman
posted Hide Post
Well, I have not USED the Digitech unit, but I have heard it (I use the Helicon VoiceLive with the Harmony Control Guitar units). The Helicon sounds much more like real voices (at least to my ear). The Harmonty Control Guitar works very well, but its not perfect... It has trouble tracking songs in 'D' (at least w/my guitars)... but it certainly cuts the 'button dancing' down to a minimum... for most songs, once you pick your preset, you don't even need to touch either of the units. (On a lot of songs with straight-forward third of fifth-type harmonies, I leave the HC guitar 'off' because its not needed... the VL unit handles the harmony changes.)

I don't know about the Digitech units, but among other things, the Helicon VL lets you customize and save scales for non-standard harmonies... you can also edit and save your presets to your computer.

The down-side to the Helicon VL is that there are so many options that the learning curve is fairly steep... but you can sound good (w/o customizing) right out of the box. YMMV :-)

Dan

Posts: 116 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: Wed May 11 2005Reply With QuoteAsk Bose for help
Picture of Kings Court
posted Hide Post
The VL4 has changed the way I do music.

It tracks the harmonies very well, and sounds good to my ears.

Listen to some of the harmonies on my You Tube Site, or on my myspace below.

Gordy ( o)==:::

The Kings Court
www.myspace.com/thekingscourt4u

Posts: 778 | Location: Fargo, ND | Registered: Fri October 27 2006Reply With QuoteAsk Bose for help
Picture of JD1
posted Hide Post
Hey dcon...I know it's not really what you asked but I was also considering the same units that you mentioned and ultimately went with the Telicon HarmonyG.

Couldn't be happier. I thought I may need the programming capabilities available in the others and maybe the additional harmonies. Nope. The 2 part harmonies are right on the money for my band situation.

I also thought I'd need the pitch correction but it hasn't been an issue at all.

Don't rule out the cheaper TC HarmonyG...it may work for you

JD

Posts: 356 | Location: CT COASTLINE, USA | Registered: Mon April 02 2007Reply With QuoteAsk Bose for help
Picture of dcon1111
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JD1:
Hey dcon...I know it's not really what you asked but I was also considering the same units that you mentioned and ultimately went with the Telicon HarmonyG.

Couldn't be happier. I thought I may need the programming capabilities available in the others and maybe the additional harmonies. Nope. The 2 part harmonies are right on the money for my band situation.

I also thought I'd need the pitch correction but it hasn't been an issue at all.

JD

Picture of dcon1111
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JD1:

I had entertained the thought of getting the TC HarmonyG but wasn't sure I would be satisfied with having less options and features. Perhaps I should go demo one at my local music store. Thanks for the suggestion
JD

Picture of dancingdogmuse
posted Hide Post
here is a link to a forum for the TC-helicon VoiceLive
VoiceLive forum
You might find some useful info over there.
I have one..it is very complex..many many options...great sound..very real..useable for recordings..there are reports of software problems...I have experienced this too....good info about all this on the voicelive forum.
...harry
Dancing Dog Muse

Posts: 258 | Location: new jersey | Registered: Thu February 19 2004Reply With QuoteAsk Bose for help
Picture of captbanjo
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I had bought one. They are high quality but I lacked the patience and knowledge to use it. For a simple guy like me, the Vocalist Live is a better option.

Posts: 914 | Location: Rhode Island, USA | Registered: Sun December 14 2003Reply With QuoteAsk Bose for help
posted Hide Post
I HIGHLY recommend TC Helicon Voicetone Harmony M and Harmony G..... they are inexpensive and sound STELLAR..... voicetone M follows midi chords. voicetone G follows guitar chords. I own BOTH.

THEY ARE DEAD SIMPLE TO OPERATE. I initially bought the Digitech voice live PRO.. it was too complex to figure out. TC Helicon voicetone's are highly recommended by me/

Posts: 155 | Registered: Sun September 16 2007Reply With QuoteAsk Bose for help
posted Hide Post
I don't know if I should post this here or not Maybe it shoul be a private message to Mysticradio because I think he's the only one mentioning that he has this but I have been looking at the VoiceTone Harmony-M. I'm not sure how I would use it thought because I am part of a duo. Here is my situation:

I use sequences on my Motif ES and leave out an instrument to play along with them, usualy piano or electric paino. I alo sing.

My wife has a PSR-2000 (I think). She doesn't play it that much... just a few little solos here and there and she sings as well.

We pride our selves on our two part harmony but I was looking at the Harmony-M for addition harmony as well as Ooos and Ahhs. We both woudn't need to use the harmony at the same time but I would like us to both have the benefits of the effects and vocal processing of the Harmony-M. Would I need two units to accomplish this. But then if I get two units, If there would be a song where my wife would be doing the harmonies, it wouldn't work because she would have the midi information from the Motif ES coming into her Harmony-M.

My apologies for this being kind of off topic but I learn so much from you all and you are my only source. Oh I also have an L1 Model 1 and a T1. in addition to the keyboards we use two SM58 Shure Mics.

Posts: 84 | Location: York, PA | Registered: Sat August 28 2004Reply With QuoteAsk Bose for help
Picture of Todd Cole
posted Hide Post
Hi Tony
Im part of a two person group and we use 2 TC.helicon voice works units. I play guitar and he plays bass. We use midi tracks thru a laptop and a roland XV-5050 for our backing tracks. The 2 tc. Helicon units works great. We send midi info to each unit via midi and all we do is sing. we program evrything into the laptop and it sounds great.

Todd

Posts: 34 | Location: Rising Sun , Maryland | Registered: Sat March 29 2008Reply With QuoteAsk Bose for help
posted Hide Post
How then would I get the midi signal from my keyboard (the Motif ES) to both Harmony-M units. I saw a two output / 1 input Midi thru box on musicians Friend product number #702507, should I use that. I also saw a Midi Router that was much more expensive. Also, does the Harmony-M capable of running on battery. It's a bit of an inconvenience to have to plug a pedal in to AC power. Thanks and agin my apologies for being so off topic.

Posts: 84 | Location: York, PA | Registered: Sat August 28 2004Reply With QuoteAsk Bose for help
Picture of Todd Cole
posted Hide Post
Hi Tony
What we do with the 2 TC Helicon Voice Works is from the midi out of the sound module to the in of one and then use the out of that unit to the in of the other. We transmit info from the laptop to them. One on midi channel 16 and the other on channel 14. So each one is controled seperatly.

Todd

Posts: 34 | Location: Rising Sun , Maryland | Registered: Sat March 29 2008Reply With QuoteAsk Bose for help
posted Hide Post
Hi Todd. Thanks for your help. The Harmony-M has no MIDI out so that won't work. I think I'll just get one of the units first then see how I like it. If I do, I'll get the second and that MIDI thru box I mentioned.

posted Hide Post
I have owned a vocalist live 2 for about a year. I gig with it every friday night and have found the following.

1. The harmonies track very well, especially when playing easy chord tunes like eagles, etc. harmonies are easy to set, very predictable.

2. Reverb, Effects and Compressor are very lacking. There is a noticable gating effect in the compressor when engaged. Hard on/off gate effect when you get quiet. The selectable effects like shine....are not that impressive.

I watched the demo of the TC Helicon Harmony G and was impressed by the auto vocal process and effects. I am convinced this will improve my vocal sound. There is an a/b switch which allows you to switch back and forth between two settings in a song. Nice.

I ordered a TC unit today and will be giving it a go in place of the digitech. Looking for the best sound possible.

I'll post how this works out. We'll see if the grass is greener.

The reverb and effect from TC are always top notch and can apply to guitar as well.

Posts: 22 | Location: Michigan | Registered: Wed January 04 2006Reply With QuoteAsk Bose for help
posted Hide Post
Hey Kurt. I also use the Digitech VL2 for harmony, but I use my Bose T1 for a little reverb or other effects should I want them. This leaves me with only one footswitch to tap around for.

Respect,
Col. Andy

Posts: 646 | Location: Central Kentucky | Registered: Sun December 05 2004Reply With QuoteAsk Bose for help
posted Hide Post
So I received the TC unit Thursday...had 15 minutes to play with it to get familiar with the controls. So I used it last night at my regular friday gig. First thoughts are: It's very compact and fits nicely on my small pedal board, strobostomp, H20 and harmony g. The guitar input/thru out connections are very close together. Planet waves cables with larger ends are tight. The single button for "tone" is great. Makes things a lot more intelligble. (I play through the L1 classic) I play a upscale martini bar with plenty of hard surfaces and it gets noisy. Mgr. commented that I sounded "good tnight". I did notice that the tracking was different on the TC, some things that are dead on with digitech were not as good...and the TC did some progressions better too. I do need to get used to the button on/off location. digitech has a nice big corner thats easy to hit....i missed a few times on the TC. I'll spend some practice time with it and fine tune things. The big plus is the "tone" processor. It sounds great.

Posts: 22 | Location: Michigan | Registered: Wed January 04 2006Reply With QuoteAsk Bose for help
Picture of JD1
posted Hide Post
Hey Kurt....I also have problems with the on/off buttons on my TC as well as GNX3000.

Being the singer, I often have to maintain close mic proximity and end up feeling around with my foot to engage the switches. A medical problem with double-peripheral vision is also a factor in my switching.

I fastened a small metal angle in between 2 of the switches to prevent me from accidently hitting the wrong one when I'm feeling around with my feet.

On the GNX, if I hit 2 buttons at once it kicks it into "off" mode so it's critical for me to use the metal angle. (1" x 1" x 1/2")

JD

Posts: 356 | Location: CT COASTLINE, USA | Registered: Mon April 02 2007Reply With QuoteAsk Bose for help
posted Hide Post
I've have a few gigs under my belt with the TC Harmony G and here are my impressions:

I like the compact design...it fits better on my pedal board. I don't have a tonematch mixer...and the TC Tone button and effects are great. HUGE improvement over the digitech.

The one minor thing that i miss on the digitech is the larger footswitch. You get used to it, but the TC takes a little more effort to turn on/off.

Harmony tracking is a draw...they are both good, but different.

The added Bass harmony mode on the TC is very cool. (it tracks the note the unit tracks for creating harmony) That is not on the digitech unit.

Overall, I am happy with my switch to the TC unit. Hope this helps prospective buyers....they are both very good units. It depends on preference and what you have in your rig. Kurt

posted Hide Post
I just got a harmony-M from TC which is very similar to harmony-G. Love the sound of it but for me it's a bit of a learning curve. I'm not used to playing with anything more than a sustain pedal. I too have trouble with the small on/off switch and was contemplating doing gives barefooted so I'd have a better feel for it. I don't know I think for me it's just a matter of really working with the thing and getting used to using such a unit. I know that TC has a different foot switch as an accessory. I don't know if that's any better. And I also noticed that you can you any one position foot switch that will just toggle the on and off switch. may be an option for me.