Find
Notify
Tools

Agenda Possibilities...
 Login/Join

Research & Development

Picture of Ken-at-Bose
posted
Let's get some ideas going here about agenda topics.

So far I know we have Chris Ickler's talk on psychoacoustics.

In a minute I'll tell you about another, exciting item.

Ken

Posts: 5376 | Registered: Mon October 13 2003Reply With QuoteAsk Bose for help
Picture of ST
posted Hide Post
Hi Ken,

As we nail down descriptions and days and times we can add things to the program section of the wiki page.
Program.

When we get things finalized (as much as these things ever get finalized) I'll be glad to it into a separate, printable agenda.

Posts: 37868 | Location: Canada (Vancouver) | Registered: Sat June 12 2004Reply With QuoteAsk Bose for help
Picture of Tom Munch
posted Hide Post
Ken mentioned something about my vocal & guitar tone presentation that we just posted the video of. If you guys want it, I'll do it. Of course I'll change a few things to reflect some of the shared knowledge & different viewpoints that came out in the talk at Cuchara, & also I'll add some reflections on headset mics (if ST will help me).

Here's the video if you haven't seen it yet.

Tom

Posts: 3784 | Location: Pueblo West, Colorado | Registered: Wed June 30 2004Reply With QuoteAsk Bose for help
Picture of Troisnoir
posted Hide Post
If you don't mind doing it, I think it could be good. Although I gained much from the video, conceptually, the actual sound of your examples wasn't quite as clear as I'm sure it was there - at least on my PC...it didn't all come across perfectly on the camera. Plus updates such as you suggest (headset mics) would be great, I'm thinking of getting one.

And of course, most of us attending the Southeast conference, I assume, were not able to attend Cuchara, so they're in the same boat as me. In fact, since we would know you're doing it, and have seen the previous video, perhaps we could give you questions ahead of time to speak about (though you seem to have about covered it all).

Tres <><

Posts: 594 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: Fri November 30 2007Reply With QuoteAsk Bose for help
Picture of ST
posted Hide Post
Anybody have requests for presentation topics?

Posts: 37868 | Location: Canada (Vancouver) | Registered: Sat June 12 2004Reply With QuoteAsk Bose for help
Picture of ST
posted Hide Post
Succeeding in the Performing Arts

How about a discussion about "Succeeding in the Performing Arts" choosing some of the meatier topics from the discussions in the Message Board.

You can find a list of recent topics in the wiki
Succeeding Page

Picture of ST
posted Hide Post
Here are some of the topics that have been covered or proposed at other conferences.

* ToneMatch Preset Filters explained and demonstrated

* Introduction to the L1 Model II and T1 Tonematch Audio Engine

* T1 integration and use with the L1 Classic

* The Mysteries (and subjectivity) of Bass Response

* B1s and Tone (the effect on tone, headroom, etc of adding additional B1's, whether via an additional PS1 or the PackLite)

* Dual mono, and the frequency cancellation that can ensue

* Equipping the band (for those folks who are doing the gear for everyone).

* Improvements and wish list

* Introducing new performers to the System.

* Long term user perspectives

* Making it work as a house / festival sound system

* Mono vs stereo, especially for sequenced or prerecorded backing tracks

* Where is the market and how to reach them?

* Where we first met - talking about the forum

* Vocal Microphones

* Electric Bass

Picture of Troisnoir
posted Hide Post
I know we're not voting or anything, but for my $.02:

I was going to suggest perhaps some "Succeeding..." topics

I, for one, would be interested in the Bass Response talk

Introducing new performers to the system

B1's and Tone

Really, most of what you listed, ST, I started picking out my faves and ended up with most of the list Big Grin

Tres <><

Posts: 594 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: Fri November 30 2007Reply With QuoteAsk Bose for help
Picture of Joelheck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ST:
Here are some of the topics that have been covered or proposed at other conferences.

* ToneMatch Preset Filters explained and demonstrated

* The Mysteries (and subjectivity) of Bass Response

* B1s and Tone (the effect on tone, headroom, etc of adding additional B1's, whether via an additional PS1 or the PackLite)

* Long term user perspectives

* Where we first met - talking about the forum

* Vocal Microphones

* Electric Bass

The whole list is good, but these would be my favorites.

Posts: 980 | Location: The Villages, Florida | Registered: Tue July 17 2007Reply With QuoteAsk Bose for help
Picture of Tom Munch
posted Hide Post
I'd like to pursue what Chris was talking about in Cliff's thread about making & selling live recordings HERE.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Pueblo West, Colorado | Registered: Wed June 30 2004Reply With QuoteAsk Bose for help
posted Hide Post
Yes Tom, that discussion would be of great interest to me. I have been nibbling at a project like that for a while.

Also, I would be interested in a discussion or demonstration of how many inputs can ultimately be used through one L1 or L2. There were previous discussions on the forum about daisy chaining T1’s or using a mini mixer. I know that a single unit is the perfect tool for a solo entertainer, and it seems to do great for a duo. What about a trio with 3 vocals and 3 instruments? I know that the ultimate goal is a unit for each person, but finances and logistics do not always work out that way. I guess I would want to know where is the “point of diminishing returns”, and how far can you stretch it when adding more inputs.

Respect

Posts: 644 | Location: Central Kentucky | Registered: Sun December 05 2004Reply With QuoteAsk Bose for help
Picture of Troisnoir
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd like to pursue what Chris was talking about in Cliff's thread about making & selling live recordings HERE.

Ditto that.

Tres <><

Picture of Tom Munch
posted Hide Post
I've found at several of the conferences that there is never time to really talk shop & techniques. I was able to sneak in a quick end-of-the-day acoustic gear demonstration in Cuchara of the Mama Bear & some other stuff. We tried to do a time during Monday when people could get with engineers & knowledgeable users to ask specific questions after lunch & before the afternoon sessions. I wasn't able to participate, but I think it probably went well. Maybe that could be done in Little Switzerland/Asheville. (That would be a good time for your question, Col. Andy.) Otherwise maybe we could have a general hour of Q&A with the whole group.

(We need to decide what we're going to call this! I vote for Little Switzerland since Asheville is so close to Ashland.)

The other thing I've always thought would be good is a room where people could break off & play acoustically if they wanted to in a small group or one-on-one. I've rented an A-frame (which I'll give up if someone needs another bed) just so there would be a place close to the Geneva Hall where there might be some acoustic playing away from the main group if people wanted to.

Another bigger thing that happened in Big Sur was a general discussion about what the L1 could do for the world of live music & what our goals for live music were. This was the one of the most thoughtful & passionate discussions I've ever been a part of & was part of what became the Big Sur "Supernova" as we came to call it. I think the stars had to be aligned just right to get to that space & time, but some of that discussion would be very, VERY worthwhile if we came to it.

More ideas coming...

Tom

Picture of ST
posted Hide Post
Let's call it Little Switzerland - because that's where it will be. Asheville is down the road anyway.

I started with an A-Frame and them switched in so that it would be available for a group or family. Besides, I intend to spend all my time in the Mountain View Restaurant (the big common space).

Picture of ST
posted Hide Post
About monetizing recorded music, "making & selling live recordings HERE"

That feels very specific. I would be interested in a discussion that feels a little more open to find its own direction.

Live and Recorded music as it impacts our relationships with our audiences.

Picture of Tom Munch
posted Hide Post
So it sounds like we'll be at the Geneva Hall AND the Mountain View Restaurant?

Picture of Tom Munch
posted Hide Post
What were some of those Big Sur ideas that we never got to, ST?

Picture of Tom Munch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ST:
About monetizing recorded music, "making & selling live recordings HERE"

That feels very specific. I would be interested in a discussion that feels a little more open to find its own direction.

Live and Recorded music as it impacts our relationships with our audiences.

I re-read Chris' post to clarify a bit what a discussion around his idea could be. I think this discussion could be the extension of what the final Big Sur discussion was - as Chris said in his post.

quote:
It goes like this. Use L1's, so you can hear what you deliver. Practice until you can perform as well as a CD/MP3. Play out and make dirt-easy live recordings of your great performances. Give the recordings away free or almost free, just as promotion for what you deliver live (which is better than anybody not using L1s, or not practicing as much.) Charge more for the better quality you deliver live. Rinse and repeat.

quote:
The far-away dream we imagined at Big Sur seems to be a big step closer to coming true. If so, musicians and listeners will all benefit.

It is a little specific, but I like the idea of honing in on what the future of live music & recordings will be. If we can make music more performance-centered instead of recording-centered then we can put the emphasis & desire back on live music & in paying musicians for the experience of the magic we can bring to life.

Picture of ST
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Munch:
So it sounds like we'll be at the Geneva Hall AND the Mountain View Restaurant?

I think we dropped the Geneva Hall when the Switzerland Inn offered us the use of the Mountain View Restaurant (for free!).

I'm not sure that this is official but now that I think of it, I'm going to call the Switzerland Inn and see if I can find get some pictures.

Picture of Roy
posted Hide Post
Here is my two cents worth. It looks like from the people that have signed up so far we are all working musicians full or part time. I would be intrested in what concerns me out in the trenches. Bars, privte parties, conventions, gas station openings, oven cleaning parties, you get the idea. How can I further my income from better promotion? How does the Bose fit into this? Selling recordings does play into this. I guess maybe I gave 4 cents worth. Roy

Posts: 944 | Location: Savannah, GA. | Registered: Thu July 26 2007Reply With QuoteAsk Bose for help