L1® Users Forum    Bose L1® Musicians  Hop To Forum Categories  General Forums  Hop To Forums  Technical Questions & Issues    hooking 2 L1's and a mixer together
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

hooking 2 L1's and a mixer together
 Login/Join

posted
We have two of the old classic L1's that our bluegrass band uses and they work great but with two systems 2 vocals, guitar and upright base comes out of one tower and mandolin, banjo, fiddle and 1 vocal comes out of the other.

WHat I would like to do it hook up a mixer to one of the L1's and connect the two systems together so that when the lead singer sings he comes out of both towers instead of one.

What would I need to do to accomplish this? Where do I plug in the mixer on the control panel and where do I plug in to connect the two L1's and what kind of cord do I use?

thanks in advance for any help!

2 Bose L1's Model II
2 B1's
Mics: 1 AT-4033, 3 SM-57's

Posts: 24 | Registered: Mon May 28 2007Reply With QuoteAsk Bose for help
Picture of ST
posted Hide Post
Hi Jim,

Adding a mixer to your situation and connecting the two L1®s together could lead to feedback and some other unwanted side-effects.

Could you post a picture of your group on stage (as you typically set up)?

How far apart are the L1®s?

quote:
Originally posted by Jim:
2 vocals, guitar and upright base comes out of one tower and mandolin, banjo, fiddle and 1 vocal comes out of the other.

Which one of the vocals described above is the lead singer? What system and what channel is s/he using?

Posts: 39131 | Location: Canada (Vancouver) | Registered: Sat June 12 2004Reply With QuoteAsk Bose for help
posted Hide Post
quote:
Adding a mixer to your situation and connecting the two L1®s together could lead to feedback and some other unwanted side-effects.

Could you post a picture of your group on stage (as you typically set up)?

How far apart are the L1®s?

St I know the mixer can be added because I have seen it done. There is a Folk Music Society in my area that has rather large concerts and they have 3 Bose PAS systems going into a large mixing board (16+ channels) via a 100' snake. Just never can get close enough to the equipment or the sound engineer to see how it is done.

Don't really have a picture handy but we just stand in a straight row from left to right banjo, mandolin/vocal, acoustic upright bass/vocal, guitar/vocal, fiddle/vocal

We stopped using 2 condenser mics because of feedback and use all dynamic mics (SM-58's on the vocals and SM-57 on the instruments)

Never know where our towers are gonna be. Sometime we get a huge big stage like at a festival and sometimes at a pub the stage is 6 feet long and very small. We try and keep the towers behind us but many time they are off to the side of us or even out front sometimes if the stage is really small.

I would just like to know how to connect the two towers together if possible and where to plug in to connect the two towers so if one person sings into a mic it comes out of BOTH towers.

thanks

2 Bose L1's Model II
2 B1's
Mics: 1 AT-4033, 3 SM-57's

Posts: 24 | Registered: Mon May 28 2007Reply With QuoteAsk Bose for help
Picture of ST
posted Hide Post
Hi Jim,

Yes, you can use a mixer.

Please note: If the L1®s are less than 20 feet apart and you run any source (e.g. microphone) to both L1®s you run the risk of greater feedback and some odd side effects (hollow or ringy sound, and odd differences in volume in different parts of the room).

More details here: Stereo, Mono, Distributed Systems.

Having said all that, it's pretty simple to make the connections.

Run all your inputs to the mixer. Note: we are talking about a non-powered mixer (no power to drive loudspeakers). Line-level outputs only.

Assuming the mixer has LEFT and RIGHT outputs:
Take the LEFT output and run it to one L1® - typically Channel 3 or 4 and set the input level to around 3 (you'll have to do some tweaking).

Take the RIGHT output and run it to the other L1® - typically Channel 3 or 4 and set the input level to around 3 (you'll have to do some more tweaking).

You will probably not need to use the R1 Remote Control.

Ideally on the mixer you would pan each input fully to one side or the other to avoid the problems that can arise if you send an input to both L1®s. But since you are asking how to do exactly that, then for the vocals that you want to hear in both L1®s, set the pan in the middle.

From what you've said, you will get the most benefit from this on large stage where you have the L1®s beside or in front of you. There will be little benefit (and greater likelihood of unwanted side-effects) on small stage or any situation when there is less than 20 feet between the L1®s.

You won't be using the Presets any longer and although it is possible to work with those, you would need a multiple buss mixer to make that work, and things get considerably more complicated.

Posts: 39131 | Location: Canada (Vancouver) | Registered: Sat June 12 2004Reply With QuoteAsk Bose for help
posted Hide Post
If all the other instruments stay connected direct to their respective L1s, then you only need to put the mics/instruments currently using, say Channel 1, into the the mixer.

Example:

currently two mics into Channel 1; want to add 3rd lead mic to both L1's.

Plug 3 mics into mixer; as ST outlined, L & R to the two L1's, Channel 1 (with mic preset) ... use 1/4" connector into center of the Combo XLR!

Then pan mic 1 Left, mic 2 Right, and mic 3 (Lead) to the center (or however sounds best).

Posts: 2708 | Location: That PA, DE, MD corner of the USA. | Registered: Tue June 07 2005Reply With QuoteAsk Bose for help